The Library contains all effects, presets, fonts, and other content available in Motion.
These items are grouped into categories listed in the left sidebar. Choose any of these
items to display a list of subcategories in the right sidebar. The Library also contains two
additional categories—Music and Photos—that provide quick access to your iTunes and
For information on adding Library content to your project, see
Adding Library Elements
to a Project
The Library contains the following categories:
• Behaviors: Contains all behaviors, divided into individual subcategories. Some behaviors
can only be applied to specific objects. For example, Text Animation and Text Sequence
behaviors can only be applied to text objects. For more information on how to apply
• Filters: Contains all filter special effects, divided into individual subcategories. Third-party
FxPlug filters appear in the category to which they belong. Most filters can be applied
to any layer (text, images, shapes, footage, particles, and so on) or mask in your project.
For more information on filters, see
• Image Units (Filters): Contains all processing plug-ins based on core image processing
installed on your computer.
• Generators: Contains a selection of checkerboards, noise patterns, color rays, animated
text objects, and other computer-generated elements for use in your projects. For more
information on generators, see
• Image Units (Generators): Contains all generators based on core image processing
installed on your computer.
• Particle Emitters: Contains a selection of preset particle systems organized into
subcategories. For more information on particle systems presets, see
Using the Particle
• Replicators: Contains a selection of preset replicators organized into subcategories. For
more information on preset replicators, see
Using the Replicator Library Presets
• Shapes: Contains a collection of preset shapes.
• Gradients: Contains a selection of preset gradients that can be applied to shapes or
• Fonts: Contains all fonts available on your system. For information on changing fonts
in your project, see
• Text Styles: Contains a collection of preset type styles that can be applied to text. For
more information, see
Using and Creating Preset Text Styles
The Motion Interface
• Shape Styles: Contains a collection of preset shape styles that can be applied to shapes.
For more information, see
Using Shapes, Masks, and Paint Strokes
• Music: Allows you to browse for and import audio files from your iTunes library. The
Music subcategories include the library and playlists created in iTunes. The contents
of each playlist appear in the file stack. When displayed in list view, the Music category
shows the Name, Artist, Album, Duration, and Size information created in iTunes.
Note: Rights-protected AAC files cannot be imported into Motion and do not appear
in the file stack. This includes music purchased from the iTunes Store. Video content
from iTunes cannot be imported to a Motion project.
• Photos: Allows you to browse for and import image files from your iPhoto library. The
Photos subcategories include the library and albums created in iPhoto. The contents
of each album appear in the file stack.
Note: When importing a large-scale image into Motion, you can scale the image to the
size of the Canvas. For more information, see
Using High-Resolution Still Images
• Content: Contains elements used in the templates and other presets that ship with
Motion. Use these images, text elements, patterns, and animations to create custom
elements, such as particles and replicators, which can be saved to the Library for later
• Favorites: Stores the custom versions of effects you create and save, including particle
systems, customized filters, animation curves, cameras, groups, or layers. You can also
add shortcuts to frequently used items. By default, this folder is empty.
Note: The preview area does not display descriptions of built-in presets copied to the
Favorites category. Control-click the favorite, then choose Edit Description from the
shortcut menu to add a description that will appear in the preview area of the Library.
• Favorites Menu: Stores custom effects that you want to appear in the Favorites menu
in the menu bar.