Modifying a Final Cut Pro X Transition in Motion
Many presets in the Final Cut Pro X Transitions Browser were created in Motion. You can
modify these presets in Motion, then save them as transitions in Final Cut Pro.
To modify a transition in Motion from Final Cut Pro X
In Final Cut Pro X, click the Transitions Browser button in the toolbar.
The Transitions Browser appears.
Locate the transition to edit.
To preview of the effect, move the pointer over the transition’s thumbnail.
Creating Templates for Final Cut Pro X
Control-click the transition and do one of the following:
• If the transition is a Final Cut Pro preset, choose “Open a copy in Motion” from the
A copy of the project opens in Motion, and the duplicated file appears in the
Final Cut Pro Transitions Browser.
Note: The “Open a copy in Motion” command is not available for FxPlug transitions.
• If the transition is a template created in Motion, choose “Open in Motion” from the
The original project opens in Motion.
If the preview image used when creating the transition in Motion was saved with the
project, that media appears in the template.
Modify the project, then do one of the following:
• To save a copy of the Final Cut Pro preset with the default name, choose File > Save.
• To save a copy of the Final Cut Pro preset with a new name, choose File > Save As,
complete the save dialog information, then click Publish.
• To save the updated Motion-created template and overwrite the original version, choose
File > Save.
• To save the updated Motion-created template as a copy, choose File > Save As, complete
the save dialog information, then click Publish.
Note: When a preset Final Cut Pro transition is applied to the Final Cut Pro Timeline
and then modified in Motion, the saved changes do not affect instances of the template
in the Final Cut Pro Timeline. However, after the modified version of the preset is applied
to the Final Cut Pro Timeline, any subsequent changes made in Motion to the template
affect instances of the transition in the Final Cut Pro Timeline.
The template is saved and appears in Transitions Browser in Final Cut Pro.